Monday, April 11, 2011

South Side of Heaven



I had the chance to attend last night's opening of South Side of Heaven. I give it two thumbs up. If I had more thumbs, I would give it more. I've seen Red Scare, America: All Better, Taming of the Flu, Spoiler Alert: Everybody Dies, and now the 99th Mainstage revue, South Side of Heaven. This current revue gives the others a run for their money. Second City has managed to outdo itself with the new one.

Newcomers Holly Laurent, Katie Rich, and Edgar Blackmon join the three holdovers from Spoiler Alert: Timothy Edward Mason, Tim Robinson, and Sam Richardson.

Sam Richardson's impression of Barack Obama gives Fred Armisen a run for his money.

Mason's TSA agent is one of the highlights of the night.

The way that they paid tribute to former Mayor Richard Daley was hilarious. Different than I expected but still funny nonetheless. How will we survive?

After directing the recent ETC hit revue, The Absolute Best Friggin' Time of Your Life, Billy Bungeroth was asked to direct the newest Mainstage hit.

Tribune critic Chris Jones gave it 3.5 stars. I give it four out of four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment