Tuesday, September 21, 2010

That Denver show...

A few articles have hit the internets with regards to the limited engagement run in Denver, Colorado.

The first profiles Micah Sherman:
Among the talented touring Second City ensemble is Micah Sherman. Denver is the second city where Sherman has performed with Second City, and he said he has enjoyed working with the group of talented people who make up the ensemble.

“I love performing with the cast, everybody is really funny,” he said.

Sherman has been doing improv comedy since he was 15 years old. Like any activity, there was a steep learning curve at first, but Sherman enjoyed the process enough to stick with it.

“It’s the highest I’ve ever been, it’s a thrill,” he said. “A lot of people like to skydive and all that (stuff), I do improv.”
The second article also profiles Micah Sherman. Something tells me that it will not be too long before we see Micah performing regularly on the ETC or Mainstages.
Here's how Sherman explains it:

"Let's say I'm a congressman in the U.S. House of Representatives," he said. "You wouldn't assume that I was, say, Alexander Hamilton. I am your local, contemporary congressman. I'm someone the entire country hasn't heard of yet . . . but I still have a promising political career in front of me."

The problem with his analogy: "There are no congressmen who are funny the that I am funny," he admits. "They're funny the way congressmen are funny, in that we like to laugh at them."[...]

"All of the sketches that we will be performing in Denver were written by people like Stephen Colbert, Tina Fey and Dan Castellaneta (the voice of Homer Simpson)" Sherman said. "So while the material was written by people you have heard of, it's all being performed by people you haven't — like Micah Sherman."

He describes the evening as a journey through Second City's storied past, with narration peppered throughout explaining who was responsible for writing what scenes. He says one sketch written by Arkin in 1961 "is amazing for how well it still plays."
The limited run in Denver ends on October 10th.

No comments:

Post a Comment